Travel & Holiday Health
From the 1st December 2017 we will not be providing any further travel vaccinations and we suggest patients attend Basingstoke Travel Clinic or the local pharmacies.
The reason for this is that we need to increase the Practice Nurses provision of diabetes, asthma, chronic lung disease and children's immunisation clinics.
So for this reason, and in common in other GP surgeries, we are prioritising all Practice Nurse time towards these areas of patient care and suggest patients seek their private travel immunisations from other local providers.
It is always a wise precaution to pack some essential items in case of illnesss on holiday.
Do choose medicines according to your needs and the country you are visiting.
If you take prescription medicines regularly remember to pack then too.
Travel sickness tablets
Rehydration solutions such as Dioralyte
Anti-diarrhoeal, eg Imodium
High factor sunscreen; calamine lotion
- Always check whether you need any immunisations or malarial tablets before you travel
- Seek advice well in advance in case you need a course of injections
Other Essentials To Pack
- Water purification tablets
- Insect repellent
- Condoms/ other contraceptives
- Arrange medical insurance
- Obtain a European Health Insurance Card from the Post Office if you are travelling in Europe. This will entitle you to free or reduced cost medical care within the EU. Take the card with you on holiday. (Care can still be very expensive even with an E111 form.) To obtain a E111 card on line: http://www.e111.org.uk/